Centre readies foodgrain supples for 'Phailin' cyclone victims
<p>The Centre, on Saturday, said 5 lakh tonnes of foodgrains is kept ready for distribution to victims of high intensity cyclone Phailin, which is due to hit the east coast in the next few hours.</p>
The Centre, on Saturday, said 5 lakh tonnes of foodgrains is kept ready for distribution to victims of high intensity cyclone Phailin, which is due to hit the east coast in the next few hours.
"We are ready with 5 lakh tonnes of foodgrains for distribution to cyclone-affected people in Andhra Pradesh and Odisha," Food Minister K V Thomas told reporters.
The foodgrains are available in government godowns in the respective states. "The centre and state governments are watching the situation. If more foodgrains are required, we will allocate," he said.
In Odisha and Andhra Pradesh, people living on the coastline are being shifted to emergency locations before the cyclone storms hits the region.
Cyclone 'Phailin', meaning sapphire in Thai language, said to be one of the strongest cyclonic storms, is set to make a landfall this evening in Odisha's Gopalpur.
District control room number:
Mayurbhanj 06792-252759, Jajpur 06728-222648, Gajapati 06815-222943, Dhenkanal 06762-221376 Khurda 06755-220002, Keonjhar 06766-255437, Cuttak 0671-2507842, Ganjam 06811-263978, Puri 06752-223237, Kendrapara 06727-232803, Jagatsinghpur 06724-220368, Balasore 06782-262674, Bhadrak 06784-251881. Andhra Pradesh: 040-23456005/23451043 Fax-040-23451819
- Pak Approaches World Bank to Mediate Indus Waters Treaty Row With India
- Pakistan Approaches International Court of Justice Over Indus Waters Treaty
- Attempt to Block Islamabad's Share of Water "Act of War": Sartaj Aziz
- Indus Treaty: How India Can Use Existing Provisions to Send a Message to Pakistan
- Mirzya New Trailer is All About Love, Passion and Music
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Maruti Suzuki's 'MS Dhoni Inspired' Alto and Alto K10 Special Edition Unveiled
- Nobody Employed Me, Says Gulzar on Screenplay Sabbatical