Chandigarh: Man arrested for setting wife on fire
The victim's family told police she was persistently harassed for dowry.
Chandigarh: A man was arrested for allegedly setting his wife on fire in Punjab's Jakopur village over a petty matter, leading to her death, police said on Sunday. Gurmej Singh alias Laddi Palwinder Kaur was arrested on Saturday for setting Palwinder Kaur ablaze on Monday after she clipped his nails too deep cutting into the skin, Deputy Superintendent of Police (Shahkot) in Jalandhar district, Harpreet Singh said. She was rushed to hospital where she succumbed on Thursday, the DSP said.
The victim's family told police she was persistently harassed for dowry, the DSP said. In her statement given to the Magistrate before her death, the victim told the police that her husband had set her on fire after thrashing her. The DSP said Kaur had called up her brothers in Amritsar and expressed her fear that her husband may harm her. "She told them that her husband was enraged as she had clipped his nails too deep cutting into the finger's skin. After she made the phone call, Gurmej abused and thrashed Kaur and later sprinkled kerosene on her and set her on fire," he said.
Two brothers of the victim rushed to Lohian, but found their sister in a semi-burnt condition and rushed her to civil hospital at Lohian, from where she was referred to a Jalandhar hospital, where she succumbed to her burn injuries, he said. The brothers of the victim claimed she was pregnant, but the DSP said they were waiting for the post-mortem report.
- Japanese Encephalitis Declared as Notifiable Disease
- Ink Thrown at Union Minister JP Nadda in AIIMS Bhopal
- Avoid Blame Game, Coordinate to Fight Chikungunya: Centre to AAP
- Unlike Dengue, Chikungunya Not Fatal: Satyendra Jain
- Gautam Gambhir Returns to Test Squad After Two Years
- Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh Clear Fitness Test in NCA
- Rampant Borussia Dortmund Will Put Stuttering Real Madrid to the Test
- We Did Discuss About Removing Dhoni From Captaincy: Sandeep Patil