Chennai Open: Paes, Bhupathi enter finals
Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi beat Marin Cilic and Ivan Dodig in the semis.
Chennai: Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi needed all their combined experience to defeat the Croatian combo of Marin Cilic and Ivan Dodig 6-1, 6-7 (4), 10-4 en route to the final of the doubles event in the ATP Aircel Chennai Open tennis tournament here on Saturday.
The legendary Indian pair thus are in line for their fifth Chennai Open doubles crown, the last of which was in 2002, the year they broke up.
After racing away with the first set on service breaks in the third and fifth games, the Indian duo, back on the tour as a team after a seven-year break, met spirited resistance from the Croatians.
The Croatians were broken in the third game, but broke back in the next and thereafter, the games went to serve leading to the tie-break.
The Croatians took an early lead in the tie-break that they won as the match spilled into the Super Set in which the Indians raised their game to clinch the issue when Cilic served a double-fault.
Both Paes and Bhupathi showed flashes of their old brilliance that they hope would help them win the Australian Open, the only Grand Slam trophy missing in their showcase.
Later, Robin Haase (NED) and David Martin (US) defeated Simone Bolelli (ITA) and Janko Tipsarevic (CRO) 2-6, 6-3, 10-7, in the second doubles semi-finals.
- MNS Defiant Despite Rajnath's Assurance to Bollywood: Time to Arrest Raj Thackeray?
- Donald Trump Digs in Heels, Says Will Accept Election Results if He Wins
- Donald Trump is Vladimir Putin's Puppet: Hillary Clinton
- The Final Clinton-Trump Debate: Four Key Moments
- Tennis Ace Sania Mirza Completes 80 Consecutive Weeks as No 1 Doubles Player
- Melania Trump Defends Husband Donald Over His 'Locker Room' Talks
- Big B, Manoj Bajpayee, Jackie Shroff: Meet The Starcast of Sarkar 3
- Trump's Remarks on Women Unacceptable, Offensive, says Melania Trump