Chidambaram justifies direct cash transfer scheme
Chidambaram pointed out that economic development had taken place in areas were bank loans were extended.
Sivaganga: Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Sunday justified direct cash transfer to beneficiaries of welfare schemes and wondered why some are opposed to the move, which keeps middlemen at bay. "There is nothing wrong in welfare scheme funds going directly to accounts of beneficiaries without middlemen and pilferages," he said.
Speaking after inaugurating Vijaya Bank's 1334th branch in nearby Pattukudipatti he said, the government is determined to extend the scheme, currently being implemented in 51 districts, to more than 700 districts by this year.
"Under the scheme, 100-day employment guarantee programme wages, old age pension and medical insurance will go directly to people's bank accounts." Tamil Nadu government had opposed the scheme, with the Governor in his recent address to the Assembly, saying that schemes like PDS and supply of free laptops being implemented in the state, have multiple social objectives and could not be constituted by a monthly emolument.
Chidambaram also took a dig at the state government, saying no government function had been held in Sivaganga district for about one and a half years, showing no development schemes were taking place in the area.
"Such functions are held to create awareness about the government's development plans, projects and schemes. But in Sivaganga, government functions have not been held for one and a half years," he said.
He expressed happiness over people availing services of the banks and said, it was their right to demand services and duty of the banks to provide them loans.
He pointed out that economic development had taken place in areas were bank loans were extended. The central government was giving a variety of loans including farm loans, for benefit of the people, he said.
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18