China eyes next-generation internet
The new system expands the capability of the Internet Protocol address and improves the speed of the internet.
Beijing: China will allow commercial use of its next-generation internet system by 2015 after putting it on trial in 2013, a media report said.
The new system expands the capability of the Internet Protocol address and improves the speed of the internet. It is also expected to create employment, the Chinese cabinet said in a statement Friday.
The new technology, called IPv6 (Internet Protocol version 6), is an upgrade of the current IPv4 whose IP addresses are about to be all used up, People's Daily reported.
The new IPv6 technology opens up a pool of internet addresses that are a billion to trillion times larger than the total pool of IPv4 addresses and are virtually inexhaustible for the foreseeable future, experts said.
The IPv4 was developed in the early 1980s and has a capacity of just over 4 billion IP addresses.
The new IPv6 network bandwidth can reach 2.5-10 gigabytes per second, 100 times faster than the current speed.
The government will try out the system on a small scale by the end of 2013 before expanding it in 2014 and 2015.
China is the world's biggest internet market with about 500 million online users.
Chinese companies are also encouraged to develop new technologies on the new IPv6 network, such as cloud computing, Internet of Things - uniquely identifiable objects (things) and their virtual representations in an Internet-like structure - and Three Network Convergence - an initiative that hopes to integrate telecommunications, TV and radio, and the Internet in the world's most populous country.
Since 2004, the IPv6 networks have been built in some research organizations in Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou for testing.
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Fun to Explore the Singer in Me, Says Shraddha Kapoor
- Abhishek Kapoor Was, Is And Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- PM Nawaz Sharif has Become Security Risk for Pakistan, Says Imran Khan
- Misbah-ul-Haq Disappointed at West Indian Downfall
- Saqlain Mushtaq Hired as Spin Consultant for England's India Tour
- 2nd Test: Yasir Shah Spins Pakistan to Series-clinching Win Vs West Indies