China's Internet users breach half billion mark
The number of Internet users in China reached 505 million users at the end of November last year.
Shanghai: The number of Internet users in China have crossed the half billion mark, reaching 505 million users at the end of November last year, the China Internet Network Information Centre (CNNIC) reported.
The Internet penetration rate stood at 37.7 per cent, up 3.4 per cent over the end of 2010, CNNIC said in a report released late last month. This compares with Internet penetration rates of more than 70 per cent for China's more technologically advanced East Asian neighbours, Japan and South Korea.
At the end of November, the number of microblog users exceeded 300 million, jumping from 195 million at the end of June, a CNNIC report released on Wednesday said, according to the official Xinhua News agency.
In December, the Beijing city government said it would tighten control over popular microblogs that have vexed authorities with their rapid dissemination of news, giving users three months to register with their real names or face legal consequences.
Sina Corp, the dominant force in China's microblogging, or Weibo, scene, is said to be contemplating the ways it can implement this rule in order to verify users' identities.
- Amit Sadh Begins Shooting For Sarkar 3
- Gauhar Khan Joins Badrinath Ki Dulhania Cast
- Amitabh Bachchan Celebrates His Birthday With the Team of Pink
- Rani Mukerji, Kajol, Ranbir Kapoor Step Out In Style For Durga Puja Celebrations
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits
- Timeline of Criminal Defamation Case Filed Against Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- HC Dismisses Kejriwal's Plea to Stay Defamation Case Filed by Arun Jaitley
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18