China's Li Na thrashes Sharapova to reach the final
China's Li Na overpowered second-seeded Maria Sharapova 6-2, 6-2 to advance to the Australian Open final.
Melbourne: China's Li Na has overpowered second-seeded Maria Sharapova 6-2, 6-2 to advance to the Australian Open final and a chance to capture her second Grand Slam title.
Li, who won the 2011 French Open and was the losing finalist here to Kim Clijsters the same year, broke Sharapova's service in the fifth and seventh games of the second set on Thursday.
Sharapova had dropped only nine games in five matches en route to the semifinals, a tournament record.
The sixth-seeded Li, who has been working since August with Justine Henin's former coach, Carlos Rodriquez, will play either defending champion Victoria Azarenka or 19-year-old American Sloane Stephens in Saturday night's final.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Poorna Trailer: Rahul Bose Brings the Story of a Girl who Conquered Everest
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology