China's Lin enters last eight at World Badminton
Lin Dan is seeking a record hat-trick of World Badminton Championship titles.
Hyderabad: Chinese Olympic champion Lin Dan swatted aside Dicky Palyama of Netherlands to reach the quarter-finals of the world championships on Thursday.
Fifth seed Lin, 25, seeking a record hat-trick of world titles, produced an array of spectacular diving returns and crosscourt winners in a 21-11, 21-11 victory to set up a last eight clash with third seed Peter Gade of Denmark.
The 32-year-old Gade, seeking his first title, was equally ruthless, brushing aside 10th seed Chan Yan Kit of Hong Kong 21-11, 21-12.
In the women's section, Hong Kong's world number one Zhou Mi, sporting a back brace, ended the good run of unseeded Japanese Ai Goto with a 21-11, 21-18 success.
Chinese second seed Wang Lin overcame Korean 12th seed Hwang Youn-hye 21-10, 21-13 but former champion Xie Xingfang, the fifth seeded Beijing Olympics silver medallist, was made to work hard by Thai Salakjit Ponsana before prevailing 21-16, 14-21, 21-9.
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) announced on Thursday that an Austrian male doubles pair had pulled out due to security concerns, after England withdrew its eight-member squad on the eve of the tournament on Sunday.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 3310 to be Launched Under Rs 5000: Here’s How it Will Look
- Football Legend Pele's Son to Serve Drug-related Prison Sentence
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology