China's Yi Siling wins London Olympic's first gold
Yi Siling won the first gold medal of the 2012 London Olympic Games in the women's 10m air rifle event.
London: Top-ranked Yi Siling of China captured the first gold medal of the London Olympics in the women's 10-meter air rifle at Royal Artillery Barracks on Saturday. Sylwia Bogacka of Poland took silver for her first major medal, and Yu Dan of China claimed the bronze.
Yi underlined her overwhelming favorite status, but it took a mistake from Bogacka in the eighth round of the 10-shot final to finally edge ahead of the unheralded Pole.
Bogacka shot a 9.7, her worst score of the final, and dropped to fourth, but a near perfect score on her final shot gave her silver ahead of Yu.
Yi, meanwhile, remained consistent and scored 502.9. Bogacka finished with 502.2, and Yu 501.5. Defending champion Katerina Emmons, who won a qualifying shootoff to make the final, finished fourth.
- Dhanteras Buying Fails to Lift Gold; Falls Rs 110
- Dhanteras: Festival of Wealth
- RBI Staff's Rangoli Tribute To Raghuram Rajan Is Perfect
- Gold Takes Gains Forward, Up Rs 232 on Global Cues
- Celebrate Diwali With Pious And Not With Noise
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Movie Review: Soulfully Acted, It'll Strike a Chord With The Audience
- Hosting a Card Party This Diwali? 5 Easy Snack Ideas to Make Your Preparations Easier
- New Zealand Policemen Dance To Salman Khan's Hit Songs To Celebrate Diwali