China's Yi Siling wins London Olympic's first gold
Yi Siling won the first gold medal of the 2012 London Olympic Games in the women's 10m air rifle event.
London: Top-ranked Yi Siling of China captured the first gold medal of the London Olympics in the women's 10-meter air rifle at Royal Artillery Barracks on Saturday. Sylwia Bogacka of Poland took silver for her first major medal, and Yu Dan of China claimed the bronze.
Yi underlined her overwhelming favorite status, but it took a mistake from Bogacka in the eighth round of the 10-shot final to finally edge ahead of the unheralded Pole.
Bogacka shot a 9.7, her worst score of the final, and dropped to fourth, but a near perfect score on her final shot gave her silver ahead of Yu.
Yi, meanwhile, remained consistent and scored 502.9. Bogacka finished with 502.2, and Yu 501.5. Defending champion Katerina Emmons, who won a qualifying shootoff to make the final, finished fourth.
Recommended For You
- Renshaw Criticised For Retiring Due to Stomach Bug
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology