Kerala: 1 dead as under-construction church collapses
The mishap occurred when the concreting work of a new structure of the St Augustine Church came crashing down.
Alappuzha: A worker was killed and 10 others were injured as an under construction Church in Kerala's Alappuzha district collapsed on Monday evening. At least 20 workers were present at the construction site when the dome of the church collapsed. Most of them were rescued later but three are still missing from the site. An inquiry has been ordered.
The mishap occurred when the concreting work of a new structure of the St Augustine Church came crashing down, causing injuries to workers on the spot. One worker, suspected to be a migrant labourer from Odisha, died on the way to a private hospital in Kochi, a hospital spokesperson said.
Search and rescue operations are on as some workers were suspected to be trapped in the debris as the concrete roof collapsed with the iron roads jutting out.
A worker, who escaped unhurt, said at the site that the incident happened as the beam of the building first gave in followed by the collapse of the arch being concreted.
State Revenue Minister Adoor Prakash said the district authorities in Alappuzha and Ernakulam have been instructed to rush more fire department and rescue personnel to search for survivors in the rubble.
(With Additional Information From PTI)
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines