Medical negligence: Karnataka govt acts against hospital
The hospital has been given time till Saturday evening to respond on how they will provide compensation to Shailaja's family.
Bangalore: Karnataka Health Minister SA Ramadas said on Saturday that criminal proceedings will be initiated against the hospital that provided treatment to a woman who has been in near vegetative state for three years post a botched surgery. The hospital has been given time till Saturday evening to respond on how they will provide compensation to Shailaja's family.
Shailaja's doctor has also been summoned by Ramadas to explain the case. "The lax on the part not just of doctors but also the hospital. Since this is a criminal case they can face imprisonment. If need be, the government will provide the victim with a lawyer to explore the legal options," the minister added.
However, Shailaja's doctor, Dr Muthu, said, "This can happen to anyone. It happens all over the world. Case is with the Karnataka Medical Council and we will do whatever is asked".
The woman has been lying in a near vegetative state for over three years after she was operated for a prolapsed disc immediately but developed ventricular tachycardia or rapid heartbeat in the recovery phase of anesthesia. Shailaja never recovered after the surgery and has now been vegetating for three years. She can't move, eat or speak to anyone.
Shailaja's husband Muniraju said that he trusted the hospital authorities with the surgery despite the fact that Shailaja never having complained of back pain earlier. After the incident, he filed an FIR with the police that compelled hospital authorities to own up responsibility for his wife's treatment.
But the hospital forcibly discharged her and shifted her to MS Ramaiah Hospital without asking the family for permission. Eventually, MS Ramaiah Hospital asked them to vacate the hospital and Muniraja was forced to bring his wife home.
- India Shouldn't Unilaterally Scrap Indus Waters Treaty: Medha Patkar
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed
- South Korea Stands With India Against Terrorism: Park Geun Hye
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Pakistani Artistes Are Not Terrorists, They Have Visas, Says Salman Khan
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance