Clashes mar Eid celebrations in J&K
Several people, including two policemen, were injured in the clashes which broke out in Anantnag and Sopore.
Srinagar: Eid festivities on Monday were marred in Kashmir Valley as clashes broke out between protesting youths and police soon after the congregational prayers concluded in Anantnag and Sopore towns, police said.
Clashes broke out in Anantnag, 50 km from here, when police tried to prevent a large group of teenage boys from taking out a protest rally after the congregational Eid-ul-Adha prayers, they said.
The agitators threw stones at police, who retaliated with tear smoke canisters.
Several people, including two policemen, were injured in the clash.
In Sopore also, people took out a protest march soon after coming out of the Eidgah, police said.
When police attempted to intercept the rallyists, they started pelting stones at them.
Police fired several tear smoke canisters there to disperse the crowd.
Meanwhile, Eid-ul-Azha was celebrated with traditional gaiety and religious fervour in other parts of Kashmir Valley and Ladakh region.
People thronged mosques to attend Eid congregational prayers in Shopian, Kulgam, Ganderbal, Budgam, Pulwama and Kupwara districts, officials said.
Eid-ul-Azha is celebrated by Muslims across the world to commemorate the willingness of Prophet Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ismail as an act of obedience to God.
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Shoe Hurled at Rahul Gandhi in UP; He Blames BJP, RSS
- Rahul Gandhi Visits Places of All Faiths in UP
- PM Modi Least Bothered About People, Says Rahul Gandhi
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane