Coast Guard averts clash between Indian and SL fishermen
An argument had taken place between the Indian fishermen and their Sri Lankan counterparts near the IMBL.
Nagapattinam: Averting a possible clash between 46 fishermen, who ventured into the sea from the district, and their Sri Lankan counterparts near the IMBL, the Coast Guard rescued them and brought them back, officials said on Friday.
The Nagapattinam fishermen were handed over to District Collector by the Coast Guard on Thursday night.
An argument had taken place between the Indian fishermen and their Sri Lankan counterparts near the International Maritime Boundary Line on Thursday night after the Lankan fishermen torn the fishing nets of the fishermen from here, District Collector T Munusamy said.
Angered by this, the Indian fishermen tried to chase the Lankan fishermen. The Lankan Navy personnel who reached the spot tried to seize two Indian fishing boats alleging they had crossed the IMBL.
However, the Indian Coast Guard, who also reached there, held talks with the Navy personnel and rescued the local fishermen and escorted them back to the shore, Munusamy said.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: MS Dhoni Scores 43 But Jharkhand Loses to Karnataka
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology