Confidence building measures in violence-hit Assam
A 16-member team of leading editors of local dailies in the state have taken stock of the situation in relief camps in Kokrajhar and Gossaigaon.
Guwahati: With violence dying down in lower Assam since it broke out on July 19, the administrations of Kokrajhar and Chirang districts, the worst-hit, have drawn up an action plan on confidence building measures.
Peace meeting by committees comprising representatives of different communities, appeals to refugees to go home with the return of peace and a call to all political parties and organisations not to call bandhs, rallies road and rail blockades are among measures contemplated under the CBMs.
"Government dignitaries and political leaders have cut across party lines to appeal to the people to restore peace," Kokrajhar Deputy Commissioner Jayant Narlikar said.
A 16-member team of leading editors of local dailies in the state have taken stock of the situation in relief camps in Kokrajhar and Gossaigaon," he said.
Narlikar said the the government and the Bodoland Territorial District Administration have decided to rehabilitate "genuine" Indian citizens having valid land documents.
Contacted Chirang district deputy commissioner Puru Gupta said "It can be said that the visit of Bodoland council members to camps has healed the situation to a great extent."
He said with the situation gradually returning to normal night curfew would be lifted from September four.
"The district has been under 437 hours of curfew and it is time to take measures for permanent peace," he said.
- Pakistan Target Twenty20 Whitewash Over West Indies
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming
- Petition to Declare Pak a Sponsor of Terrorism Crosses 1 Lakh Signatures
- Indian Minister Disowned UN Resolutions in Speech: Pakistan
- I Have Experience, Says Hillary Clinton on Trump's 'Presidential Look' Jibe at Her
- Hillary Vs Trump: US Dollar Declines Before Presidential Debate
- US Presidential Debate Live: I Have Experience, Says Hillary on Trump's 'Presidential Look' Jibe at Her
- US Presidential Candidates Neck and Neck as They Go Toe-To-Toe