One dead, five injured in Amarnath chopper crash
The helicopter took off from north Kashmir's Baltal base camp.
Srinagar: A helicopter crashed near the Amarnath cave shrine on Thursday morning killing one woman pilgrim on the spot and wounding five occupants, police said.
The helicopter took off from north Kashmir's Baltal base camp early Thursday morning, but crashed nearly 500 metres short of the helipad near the cave shrine, killing one woman on the ground and wounding all the five occupants including the captain, a senior police officer said.
The injured were being evacuated for treatment, he said.
A daily helicopter service to ferry the pilgrims to the cave shrine and back is being operated by the 'Himalayan Heli Services' from Baltal.
The annual pilgrimage to the cave, which began last month, is in full swing with over 8,000 pilgrims visiting the shrine everyday.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Ben Stokes Excited to Be Part of MS Dhoni's Team
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Films You Need To Watch Before Tuning Into Oscars 2017
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement