Crime against women on the rise in trains
A total of 712 cases including rape, murder, robbery and eve-teasing were reported against women and children in 2011.
New Delhi: Despite initiating steps to prevent crime in trains and stations, there has been an increase in cases of misconduct against women passengers.
As per data available with the Railways, a total of 712 cases including rape, murder, robbery and eve-teasing were reported against women and children in railway premises in 2011 as against 501 cases in the previous year.
There were 15 rape and 362 eve-teasing cases reported in 2011 as against 10 and 352 similar cases in 2010.
Incidentally, in order to check increasing incidents of crime, RPF and GRP personnel escort about 3,500 express and local trains.
"Currently all important trains including Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto are escorted by security men and steps are being taken to strengthen security at stations by implementing integrated security system," a senior Railway Ministry official said.
Railways is installing CCTV cameras at 202 stations as part of the integrated security system. There are about 8,000 railway stations in India.
"We are regularly reviewing the safety and security of the trains and adopting proactive measures to ensure safety of passengers," the official said.
He said anti-drugging squads are also functional.
- MNS Defiant Despite Rajnath's Assurance to Bollywood: Time to Arrest Raj Thackeray?
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 3: Whose Side is Swami Om on? Sevaks or Maliks?
- As It Happened: India Vs New Zealand, 2nd ODI
- Bangladesh vs England Live Score: 1st Test, Day 1 in Chittagong
- Donald Trump Digs in Heels, Says Will Accept Election Results if He Wins
- Donald Trump is Vladimir Putin's Puppet: Hillary Clinton
- Hillary Clinton Beats Donald Trump in Final Presidential Debate
- Running for President is a 'Step Down' For My Dad: Trump Junior