Crime against women on the rise in trains
A total of 712 cases including rape, murder, robbery and eve-teasing were reported against women and children in 2011.
New Delhi: Despite initiating steps to prevent crime in trains and stations, there has been an increase in cases of misconduct against women passengers.
As per data available with the Railways, a total of 712 cases including rape, murder, robbery and eve-teasing were reported against women and children in railway premises in 2011 as against 501 cases in the previous year.
There were 15 rape and 362 eve-teasing cases reported in 2011 as against 10 and 352 similar cases in 2010.
Incidentally, in order to check increasing incidents of crime, RPF and GRP personnel escort about 3,500 express and local trains.
"Currently all important trains including Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto are escorted by security men and steps are being taken to strengthen security at stations by implementing integrated security system," a senior Railway Ministry official said.
Railways is installing CCTV cameras at 202 stations as part of the integrated security system. There are about 8,000 railway stations in India.
"We are regularly reviewing the safety and security of the trains and adopting proactive measures to ensure safety of passengers," the official said.
He said anti-drugging squads are also functional.
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Love is a Feeling Beyond Your Control: Ranbir Kapoor
- Rishi, Neetu and Riddhima Post Messages For Ranbir Kapoor On His Birthday
- Time to Stop All India-Pak Relations, Business, Sports, Cinema?
- Pakistan Postpones SAARC Summit After Five Member Countries Pull Out
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- 1st ODI: Azam, Nawaz Star as Pakistan Thrash West Indies
- US Lawmakers Support India's Counter-Terror Operations in PoK