Cruise missile Nirbhay deviates from flight path, terminated
However, the DRDO said the missile 'successfully' met the basic mission objectives and performed some of the manouveres satisfactorily.
Balasore: India's first indigenously developed sub-sonic cruise missile Nirbhay on Tuesday failed to hit the target in its maiden test-firing as it had to be terminated mid-way after deviating from the flight course. However, the DRDO said the missile "successfully" met the basic mission objectives and performed some of the manouveres satisfactorily before being terminated mid way.
"Nirbhay was successfully launched today at 1150 hrs from launch complex, Chandipur, Odisha, meeting the basic mission objectives successfully.
"After travelling approximately mid-way, deviations were observed from its intended course. Further, flight was terminated to ensure coastal safety," DRDO spokesman Ravi Gupta said in a release. The surface-to-surface sub-sonic cruise missile has the capability of being launched from land, sea and air, they
said, adding Nirbhay has good loitering capability, good
control and guidance, high degree of accuracy in terms of
impact and very good stealth features.
Nirbhay was developed by Aeronautical Development
Establishment (ADE), a Defence Research and Development
Organisation (DRDO) laboratory based in Bangalore in
understood to have a strike-range of around 1,500 km.
India has the technology of super-sonic missile like
BrahMos which is jointly developed by India and Russia.
BrahMos has a strike range of 290 km. PTI AJD
- Watch: Has India Changed The Rules Of Engagement With Pakistan On The LoC ?
- News360: India Raids Terror Camps In PoK
- UN Asks India, Pakistan to Resolve Differences Peacefully
- Want Pakistan to Combat, Delegitimise Terror Entities: US
- Syrian, Russian Air Strikes Kill 25 Civilians in Syria, Says Human Rights Group
- Parched Cast takes our Movie Quiz and It's Funny
- Parched Movie Review: Nuanced Performances, Heartfelt Storytelling Make It a Must Watch
- UN Aid Convoy in Syria Hit by Airstrike; UN Outraged
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Nitish Kumar congratulates PM Modi, Indian Army for surgical strike across LoC - Pradesh18