Curfew imposed in entire Manipur valley
Roads were blocked and tyres set ablaze as part of widespread protests against alleged molestation of a Manipuri actor.
Imphal: Indefinite curfew was on Monday imposed on the entire Manipur valley as roads were blocked and tyres set ablaze as part of widespread protests against the alleged molestation of a film actress by a Naga militant and the killing of a journalist in the subsequent police firing, official sources said. As soon as the 16-hour curfew clamped in Imphal East and Imphal West from 2:00 pm Sunday ended this morning, people streamed out onto roads with the support of major social organisations and began blocking them and setting ablaze inflammable material, including tyres, the sources said.
Following this, curfew was clamped from 11:00 am in Imphal East, Imphal West, as well as Bishenpur and Thoubal districts where the disturbances had spread, the sources said Earlier Sunday, the president of the Manipur Film Forum (MFF) Surjakanta Sharma had announced relaxation of the general strike from midnight last night till December 26 midnight in view of Christmas.
A section of the MFF, however, disagreed and told local media last evening that there was no question of relaxation of the general strike. The sources said since the curfew was imposed suddenly, the police were going around with public address systems in the valley districts asking people to remain indoors because of curfew.
They said that hundreds of people particularly from hill areas who came to shop for Christmas were stranded in different parts of the valley districts. They were likely to be sent back with security escort, they said. A journalist was killed in police firing on Sunday amidst protests during an indefinite general strike called by the MFF demanding the arrest of NSCN-IM militant Livingstone Anal who had allegedly molested film actress Momoko and threatened two other artistes on December 18 at Chandel.
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Karan Johar Vs MNS: CM Fadnavis Turns Peacemaker
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi