CWG: Tejaswini, Lajja shoot silver in 50m rifle
The duo added to the glorious day for Indian shooters that began with Abhinav Bindra and Gagan Narang winning gold.
New Delhi: The Indian medal spree continued on day 2 of the Commonwealth Games on Tuesday when shooters Tejaswini Sawant and Lajjakumari won a silver in the 50m rifle event.
The duo added to the glorious day for Indian shooters that began with Abhinav Bindra and Gagan Narang firing in unison to shoot a Games record 1193 in men's 10m air rifle event and win India's first gold medal.
The Narang-Bindra pair broke their own record, which they had set four years ago in Melbourne, by notching up 1189.
"Many thought I am a dictator, since I had imposed a gag order on the shooters prior to the Games. But whatever I was doing, I was doing for the country. And we have got the reward for that," said national coach Sunny Thomas.
Thomas, however, cautioned that, instead of basking in glory, it would be wise to focus on the coming events. "This was easy but I am sure the coming events are going to be difficult. I am happy that both Gagan and Abhinav shot well today. It's certainly a good start for India and we hope to maintain the momentum," Thomas said.
(With inputs from PTI)
Recommended For You
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- BKD: Varun- Alia Bring Back Desi Vibes in Aashiq Surrender Hua
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance