Cyclone: 11 fishermen rescued in Bay of Bengal
Cyclone 'Thane' is expected to hit Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu coasts by Friday.
Visakhapatnam: A unit of Eastern Naval Command on Thursday night rescued 11 fishermen trapped in the Bay of Bengal due to the rough sea off Narasapur in East Godavari district and Yanam in Pondicherry.
A high alert has been sounded along the coast in view of cyclone 'Thane' that is expected to hit Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu coasts by Friday.
Fishermen had been advised not to venture out, but Eastern Naval Command received a message from the district authorities yesterday that some fishermen, already at sea, were missing for the last two days, a Navy release said.
A Dornier flight was launched this morning and despite the rough weather and poor visibility, the aircrew were successful in locating a capsized boat off Narsapur, around 220 km from Visakhapatnam.
A helicopter from INS Dega then rescued six survivors. While returning to Visakhapatnam, it received call about a trawler, so it changed course and rescued five more off Yanam.
Recommended For You
- Sachin Tendulkar Says Virat Kohli and Boys Will Come Back Hard
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- Malayalam Actor Prithiviraj Writes Powerful Post Apologising for Misogyny in Films
- PV Sindhu Says All England is Like Any Other Super Series for Her