Dalits denied water, NHRC issues notice to Bihar
The NHRC also said children of Dalit families were warned of dire consequences if they attended the village schools.
New Delhi: The NHRC on Wednesday sought a report from the Bihar government over the denial of water to Dalits by upper caste people in Kishanganj.
"A notice has been issued to the chief secretary of Bihar and the district magistrate of Kishanganj," National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) said in a statement.
"Reportedly, higher caste people, including the panchayat head, issued a diktat ordering Dalits not to use village water as they had complained that money meant for welfare schemes was being siphoned off by the panchayat members," it added.
"Children of Dalit families were warned of dire consequences if they attended the village schools," it added.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 3310 to be Launched Under Rs 5000: Here’s How it Will Look
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- Claudio Ranieri Sacking Shows How Heartless Modern Day Football Is
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines