Davis Cup: Switzerland beat Ecuador 3-0
Switzerland retained their Davis Cup world group status on Saturday, winning the doubles rubber against Ecuador.
Neuchatel, Switzerland: Switzerland retained their Davis Cup world group status on Saturday, winning the doubles rubber against Ecuador to take a decisive 3-0 lead in their relegation playoff.
Stanislas Wawrinka and Michael Lammer completed a 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (7), 6-4 victory against Emilio Gomez and Roberto Quiroz on an indoor hard court surface.
The Swiss pair let two match-point chances slip in the fourth-set tiebreaker before taking their first chance in the fifth.
Lammer was paired with Wawrinka after the US Open semifinalist and Marco Chiudinelli won Friday's opening singles.
Swiss No. 1 Roger Federer skipped the Davis Cup this year and has given no indication he will return to the team event next season.
The 2014 world group draw is on Wednesday.
- Bhubaneswar-Bhadark Train Collides With Goods Train in Cuttack, 1 Dead
- It's High Time We Respond to Terrorism: John Abraham
- Irom Sharmila Meets Kejriwal, Seeks Advice on Fighting Manipur Polls
- Fresh Picture of Lalu's Sons With Scribe-Murder Accused Surfaces
- Pakistan Briefs P5 Over Unprovoked Firing by India on LoC
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif