Dearth of skilled researchers in crucial fields: President
The President was speaking at the 5th Annual Convocation of the Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU).
Shibpur (Howrah): Observing that there is a dearth of skilled researchers in crucial areas like space, energy, medicine and defence in the country, President Pranab Mukherjee on January 19 said technology should be developed for the benefit of the people. "Quite often, I have observed that there is a deficiency of research manpower in strategic areas like space technology, atomic energy, defence, as well as in basic engineering research in medical technology, and environmental science & technology," he said here.
The President was speaking at the 5th Annual Convocation of the Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU). "I would like to remind you, as you break the frontiers of science and discover new technology, your efforts would be truly valuable if they bring efficiency to our industry, comfort in the daily lives of our people and wipe the tears of the most challenged of our countrymen," he said.
Mukherjee said scientists and researchers could create a symbiotic relationship with the industry with focus on developing technology and making it consumer friendly which would always benefit the people. He commended BESU for initiating undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in strategic areas like Aerospace Technology, Remote Sensing and Material Science and Technology.
The President said Government had decided to convert BESU into to an Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST) and recognise it as an Institution of National Importance because of its outstanding contribution. He asked those present to be proactive in building society but without forgetting Indian heritage and tradition of tolerance, mutual respect and an inclusive approach in achieving our developmental goals.
The President also conferred honorary doctorates on physician Dr MS Valiathan, academician Dr BK Bose and classical singer Girija Devi. Earlier in the day, the President had travelled to Barrackpore where he attended a function. Former Indian Cricket team captain Saurav Ganguly was also present.
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official