Farm debt waiver scheme report to be tabled in Parl today
The scheme had written off debt of more than 3.7 crore farmers totalling to about Rs 55,000 crore.
New Delhi: The Comptroller and Auditor General's (CAG) final report on the farm debt waiver scheme is likely to be tabled in Parliament on Tuesday. Sources said the report is fairly critical of its implementation, alleging that beneficiaries of the scheme were selected randomly and did not reach the needy farmers.
The scheme was announced by the UPA government in 2008. It had written off debt of more than 3.7 crore farmers totalling to about Rs 55,000 crore.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram has already announced action against banks found to be involved in irregularities besides the ineligible recipients of the scheme. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has also asked banks to recover money and file FIRs.
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation
- Pakistan Briefs P5 Over Unprovoked Firing by India on LoC
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Cauvery Row: Ex-PM Deve Gowda Sits on Dharna Against 'Injustice'
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha