DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Farm debt waiver scheme report to be tabled in Parl today
The scheme had written off debt of more than 3.7 crore farmers totalling to about Rs 55,000 crore.
New Delhi: The Comptroller and Auditor General's (CAG) final report on the farm debt waiver scheme is likely to be tabled in Parliament on Tuesday. Sources said the report is fairly critical of its implementation, alleging that beneficiaries of the scheme were selected randomly and did not reach the needy farmers.
The scheme was announced by the UPA government in 2008. It had written off debt of more than 3.7 crore farmers totalling to about Rs 55,000 crore.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram has already announced action against banks found to be involved in irregularities besides the ineligible recipients of the scheme. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has also asked banks to recover money and file FIRs.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli Unhappy With Head Coach Anil Kumble?
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- Kangana-Ketan Battle: Another Filmmaker Accuses The Latter Of Hijacking His Film
- GST Effect: Ford Figo, Aspire, EcoSport Get Discounts Of Up To Rs 30,000
- War Machine Review: Brad Pitt Is Disappointing In This Satire Gone Wrong