Farm debt waiver scheme report to be tabled in Parl today
The scheme had written off debt of more than 3.7 crore farmers totalling to about Rs 55,000 crore.
New Delhi: The Comptroller and Auditor General's (CAG) final report on the farm debt waiver scheme is likely to be tabled in Parliament on Tuesday. Sources said the report is fairly critical of its implementation, alleging that beneficiaries of the scheme were selected randomly and did not reach the needy farmers.
The scheme was announced by the UPA government in 2008. It had written off debt of more than 3.7 crore farmers totalling to about Rs 55,000 crore.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram has already announced action against banks found to be involved in irregularities besides the ineligible recipients of the scheme. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has also asked banks to recover money and file FIRs.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Mitchell Starc Ends Association With Virat Kohli and Co.
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- Running Shaadi Review: It's Weighed Down by Choppy Editing, Inconsistent Screenplay
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Female)
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)