Farm debt waiver scheme report to be tabled in Parl today
The scheme had written off debt of more than 3.7 crore farmers totalling to about Rs 55,000 crore.
New Delhi: The Comptroller and Auditor General's (CAG) final report on the farm debt waiver scheme is likely to be tabled in Parliament on Tuesday. Sources said the report is fairly critical of its implementation, alleging that beneficiaries of the scheme were selected randomly and did not reach the needy farmers.
The scheme was announced by the UPA government in 2008. It had written off debt of more than 3.7 crore farmers totalling to about Rs 55,000 crore.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram has already announced action against banks found to be involved in irregularities besides the ineligible recipients of the scheme. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has also asked banks to recover money and file FIRs.
- I'm a Gujarati at Heart, Says President Pranab Mukherjee
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Jio MAMI 2016: 10 Facts About Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar Revealed by Cast
- Lewis Hamilton Beats Title Rival Nico Rosberg to Pole
- Despite Mulayam's Peace Efforts, Rift Widens Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war