DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Defending champ Azarenka battles her way to fourth round
Top-ranked Azarenka struggled to hold off injured American Jamie Hampton 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.
Melbourne: Defending champion Victoria Azarenka struggled to hold off injured American Jamie Hampton 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 on Saturday before advancing to the fourth round of the Australian Open.
Hampton, who needed a medical timeout for a lower back problem before she served out the second set and winced in pain, frequently on the verge of tears, throughout the third, still managed to hit 41 winners.
Top-ranked Azarenka appeared frustrated at times but overcame an early break and fended off triple break point in the seventh game of the deciding set.
She said Hampton "played incredible," adding, "She took a medical timeout but she rips winners all over the place and I was like, 'Can I have a back problem?' I'm feeling great, but I'm missing every shot."
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli Says Champions Trophy Most Competitive 'Big' Tournament
- Krunal Pandya: Kept Cool Head, Knew MI's Chances Rested On My Shoulders
- England vs South Africa Live Updates: 1st ODI at Headingley
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- All I Want Becomes First Indian Film To Win At Short Film Fest In Cannes