Del Potro beats Benneteau to win ABN AMRO World
The 2009 US Open winner won 7-6 (2), 6-3. Benneteau, who beat No. 2-ranked Roger Federer in the quarterfinals, is now 0-8 in ATP finals.
Rotterdam: Juan Martin del Potro beat Julien Benneteau 7-6 (2), 6-3 on Sunday to win the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament.
Benneteau managed what no other player at the tournament achieved - breaking del Potro's serve twice in the first set - but struggled to hold his own serve against the big-hitting Argentine and crumbled in the second set.
The 2009 US Open winner was the runner-up in Rotterdam last year. Benneteau, who beat No. 2-ranked Roger Federer in the quarterfinals, is winless in eight ATP finals.
"We are getting closer and closer. I am sure with you I can win a title," Benneteau said as he thanked his coach.
Benneteau saved four match points when serving at 5-2 in the second set, but del Potro then served out the match.
While Benneteau managed to break the 6-foot-6 Argentine, del Potro hit back immediately, breaking Benneteau as he reeled off four straight games to take command of the opening set.
Benneteau saved two set points on his own serve at 5-3 and then broke del Potro a second time on his way to forcing a tiebreaker. But the experienced del Potro dominated to take the set.
Benneteau seemed sluggish in the second set as del Potro ran away with the match, serving the final game with wadding in one nostril after suffering a nose bleed.
- RBI Staff's Rangoli Tribute To Raghuram Rajan Is Perfect
- When she was born, there was no joy and celebration: Kangana Ranaut's father recalls her birth
- Kangana Ranaut wished to make a film on sister, acid attack survivor Rangoli's life
- Delhi: Street kids celebrate Diwali, spread message of harmony
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Review: Genuinely Moving Drama With Terrific Performances by its Leads
- Celebrate Diwali With Pious And Not With Noise
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Movie Review: Soulfully Acted, It'll Strike a Chord With The Audience
- Hosting a Card Party This Diwali? 5 Easy Snack Ideas to Make Your Preparations Easier