Delhi braveheart's body to reach India tonight
The body has been moved to the mortuary in the Singapore General Hospital and will be flown back to India by a chartered plane.
Singapore: The 23-year-old survivor of the brutal gangrape and assault in Delhi that had triggered an outrage across India died early Saturday morning in Singapore after putting up a brave battle for life for nearly a fortnight. The girl, who was admitted to the well-known multi-organ transplant facility Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore on Thursday morning in an extremely critical condition, breathed her last at 4.45 am (2.15 am India time). She was earlier treated at the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi.
"We are very sad to report that the patient passed away peacefully at 4.45 am on December 29, 2012 (Singapore time)," the hospital's Chief Executive Officer Dr Kelvin Loh said in a statement. "Her family and officials from the High Commission of India were by her side. The Mount Elizabeth Hospital team of doctors, nurses and staff join her family in mourning her loss," the statement said.
The body has been moved to the mortuary in the Singapore General Hospital and will be flown back to India by a chartered plane. Accompanied by her family, the body is expected to arrive in Delhi by Saturday night.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and a host of political leaders condoled the death of the girl and paid tributes to the survivor of the sexual assault for her brave fight. The girl was raped and brutally assaulted in a moving bus by six men in Delhi on December 16 and thrown out along with her companion.
Indian High Commissioner TCA Raghavan told reporters that the family was yet to decide on the plans for the last rites back home. He said the girl fought a brave battle till the end. She was brought to Singapore for being provided good medical treatment.
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- I'm a Gujarati at Heart, Says President Pranab Mukherjee
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Jio MAMI 2016: 10 Facts About Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar Revealed by Cast
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like it Splits
- Watch: Akhilesh vs Shivpal Figth Over Amar Singh
- SP Meet Turns into Family Drama, Akhilesh & Shivpal Spar In Public
- Samajwadi Party's Old Guard May Need Akhilesh's 'Youth Appeal' in 2017 Polls