Delhi gangrape: Doctors refute accused's claim that braveheart died in India
The defence counsel had claimed that the victim was shifted to Singapore because she had died and the govt didn't want the public to know it.
New Delhi: The doctors, who were part of the medical team attending to the Delhi braveheart, told a fast-track court in New Delhi on Friday that the girl was shifted to a Singapore hospital to provide her with best possible treatment and not because she had died as alleged by the accused.
The doctors' response came on the allegation by defence counsel of two accused in the case that the victim was not shifted to Singapore for organ transplant or best possible medical care but because she had died and the government did not want the public to know it.
Counsel for accused Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur made this suggestion while cross-examining two prosecution witnesses, who were part of the medical team of Safdarjung Hospital where the 23-year-old girl was initially treated.
The girl was allegedly gangraped by the two accused and four others in a moving bus here. She had later died in a Singapore hospital on December 29, 2012.
Advocates Vivek Sharma and AP Singh alleged that the girl had died here in India due to the medical negligence of the doctors who were attending to her.
The witnesses, however, denied the allegations and said the girl was moved to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore to provide her with the best possible treatment as the same was not possible here in India.
"It is wrong to suggest that the victim had allegedly died in India due to the alleged negligence of the team of doctors treating her. It is wrong to suggest that the victim's dead body was transported outside India, because of public agitation and pressure...," the witnesses told the court of additional sessions judge Yogesh Khanna.
The defence lawyers contended there was no reason to shift the girl outside India, "especially for best possible treatment", as such a specialised treatment was available in various Indian hospitals, including AIIMS, Medanta and Sir Ganga Ram.
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Bird Flu: Threat of Infection to Migratory Birds
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Sharma Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about Anurag Khashyap's tweet over ADHM