Be a responsible citizen. Come, pledge to always check and share verified and vetted news.
3-min read

Delhi gangrape: Timeline from December 16 to March 11


Updated: March 11, 2013, 8:03 AM IST
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
Delhi gangrape: Timeline from December 16 to March 11
Ram Singh, one of the six accused in the Delhi gangrape case, committed suicide in his cell in Tihar jail number 3 early on Monday morning.

Ram Singh, one of the six accused in the Delhi gangrape case, committed suicide in his cell in Tihar jail number 3 early on Monday morning. His suicide has come as a huge embarrassment for the jail authorities as reports had earlier indicated that the accused were under suicide watch. Experts say mental duress must have forced the accused to take the step.

Singh was the driver of the bus in which the 23-year-old paramedical student was gangraped.

Singh was arrested soon after the December 16 incident from near his home in RK Puram. The girl was raped in the bus by him and his five associates, including a minor, in south Delhi after brutally beating her and also her male friend. The girl died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.

Here is a brief timeline from December 16 to March 11:

December 16, 2012: The young paramedic student is raped and beaten up by six men in a moving private bus and thrown out of it after 30 minutes of torture along with her male friend. They are admitted to Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital the same night.

December 17, 2012: Police indentify four men who raped and assaulted the girl. Victim's full extent of internal injuries determined by doctors.

December 18, 2012: Nation outraged by the brutal gangrape while the incident shakes up Parliament with Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj demanding death penalty for rapists. Protests carried out by students of the Jawaharlal Nehru University on the Ring Road near the Munirka signal against the gangrape. A total of four accused arrested, including bus driver and main accused Ram Singh, search on for two others.

December 19, 2012: Doctors at Safdarjung Hospital treating the victim announce she is communicating through writing messages but still not out of danger. Permit of the bus, which the incident happened, cancelled by the Transport Department.

December 20, 2012: Students from Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi University and Jamia Milia demonstrated outside Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit's residence against the government's failure to curb the rising number of such crimes against women. The eyewitness and male friend of the victim gives statement.

December 21, 2012: Safdarjung doctors say the victim is stable, but still critical. She is taken off the ventilator. Her male friend identifies one of the accused, Mukesh, during the test identification prade at Tihar jail. Police conducts raids in Haryana and Bihar, nab one more accused.

December 22, 2012: Protests against the gangrape pick up with nation wide outrage on the incident. Thousands gather at India Gate, as victim remains critical. Victim gives statement to the sub-divisional magistrate.

December 23, 2012: Protests against the Delhi gangrape turn violent. Protesters defy prohibitory orders of the government, face police's water cannons and tear gas shells. Constable Subhash Tomar of Delhi Police seriously injured during clashes at India Gate. The young victim's heath remains serious with bouts of vomitting, although she was communicating and conscious. She also suffered internal bleeding.

December 24, 2012: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh makes statement regarding the gangrape and the following protests. Appeals for calm and assures stringent measures for women in the country. Two gangrape accused brought before a Delhi court say they committed a horrible crime and "deserved to be hanged".

December 25, 2012: Doctors treating the victim say she is responding to the treatment despite being critical. Constable Subhash Tomar succumbs to injuries sustained during December 23 protests at India Gate. Platelet count and liver function of the gangrape victim improves. She gives her statement again to metropolitan magistrate after CM Dikshit complains to Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde that senior police officials "interfered" in the process. However, the victim's health deteriorates the same night.

December 26, 2012: Protests against the gangrape continue at Jantar Mantar. Constable Tomar cremated with full state honours. Victim shifted to Singapore's Mount Elizabeth Hospital in a sudden move after her condition deteriorates and she suffers cardiac arrest.

December 27, 2012: The victim remains critical in the ICU of Mount Elizabeth Hospital. 3,000 security personnel, from Delhi Police and para-military forces, man Delhi roads to stop any violent demonstration.

December 28, 2012: Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi demands speedy justice in the case. Doctors at Mount Elizabeth say the victim's condition worsened with signs of multiple organ failure. She gets infection in the lungs and abdomen as well as an injury to the brain.

December 29, 2012: The victim succumbs to massive internal injuries after battling with them for over 12 days. She died at 2:15 am Indian Standard Time on December 29.

January 5, 2013: The five accused brought under "suicide watch" after they stop interacting with other jail inmates and amongst themselves.

January 28, 2013: Sixth accused is a minor, rules Juvenile Justice Board.

February 2, 2013: Five accused charged with 13 offences including murder.

February 28, 2013: Juvenile Justice Board frames rape, murder charges against minor accused.

March 11, 2013: Main accused Ram Singh commits suicide in his cell in Tihar jail number 3.

First Published: March 11, 2013, 8:03 AM IST
Read full article
Next Story
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp