Delhi govt gives Rs 1 lakh to woman who gave birth in park
According to NHRC, the homeless woman was chased and hit by police as she sat by a road. The resultant shock induced labour pains.
New Delhi: Delhi government, after an intervention by NHRC, extended a monetary relief of Rs one lakh to a homeless woman who delivered a baby in a park after being chased and hit by the police. The relief came over a year after the National Human Right Commission took cognisance of the issue on the basis of a complaint enclosing a newspaper report dated February 1, 2011, was made to it, NHRC officials said.
According to the report, the incident occurred when the pregnant woman was sitting in a park in Pusa road roundabout along with her mother-in-law. She was chased by the police who were clearing the area of encroachers at the traffic signal.
The women was hit on her leg and the resultant shock caused her labour pain, resulting in her delivery within minutes, the officials said. Taking note of the incident, the commission recommended Rs one lakh compensation to the victim and called for a compliance report along with proof of payment from the state government, they said.
In response to the notice by the Commission, an inquiry was conducted and the incident was confirmed. The policemen involved in the incident tried to conceal facts till their identity was revealed during the inquiry, the officials alleged. Departmental inquiry was ordered against a head constable and a constable, they said.
It took almost a year for the government to establish the identity of the victim and hand over monetary relief to her, they said.
- Tata Stocks Plunge on Concerns Over Cyrus Mistry Letter
- Windfall for Ace Lawyers As Tata-Mistry Courtroom Battle Set to Prolong
- Excerpts From the Mistry Email Alleges That Ratan Tata was a Behind the Scenes Presence
- UK PM Theresa May had Expressed Concerns Over Brexit Weeks Before Referendum
- To Me, Books Are More Important Than Films: Vishal Bhardwaj
- Salman Khan's Bodyguard Shera Faces Assault Charges in Mumbai
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- Dear Zindagi: SRK Asks Alia Bhatt to Crack Better Jokes in the New Teaser