Delhi has highest number of VIP security personnel
The maximum of 3,030 persons were given protection in Bihar, followed by 1,798 in Punjab and 1,698 in West Bengal.
New Delhi: The national capital has the highest number of security personnel on VIP-guarding duties in the country after Punjab. More than a dozen policemen guard each of the 427 VIPs, who are being given security in Delhi, according to the "Data on Police Organisations in India-2012".
The data, prepared by the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D), said while there is one policeman in Delhi for every 253 common citizens, there are 5183 police men deployed for giving protection to 427 high-profile people in Delhi, translating into nearly a dozen personnel.
The report, dedicated to the security of VIPs and handed over to Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde recently, says the protected persons include ministers, MPs, MLAs, judges and bureaucrats.
The deployment of a dozen personnel for each VIP in Delhi is the highest strength of security personnel per VIP for any other state and is virtually four times the national average which is only about three policemen being attached with a VIP for his or her security.
The BPR&D report reflects that for 14,842 protected people nationwide, 47,557 police personnel have been deputed for their security for more than six months at a stretch.
The maximum of 3,030 persons were given protection in Bihar, followed by 1,798 in Punjab and 1,698 in West Bengal. Punjab deployed the maximum of 5,811 police personnel, followed by 5,183 policemen by Delhi and 4,278 by Assam.
Earlier in the day, the Delhi government told the Supreme Court that 8049 police personnel are deployed for giving protection to VIPs in the national capital at a cost of Rs 341 crore to the exchequer annually.
In an affidavit filed before a bench headed by Justice GS Singhvi, the state government submitted that its total budget for VIP security for the current financial year is Rs 3,41,24,32,000 out of which Rs 38,48,76,000 are to be spent for Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Camp Sacks Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Triple Talaq Seriously Affecting Freedom, Rights of Women, Says BJP's Tamil Nadu Unit
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Sharma Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about Anurag Khashyap's tweet over ADHM
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan