Delhi Police arrests property dealer for kidnapping 11-year-old boy
The boy's parents informed the police about the kidnapping after they received a ransom call from the accused demanding Rs 1.5 crore.
New Delhi: The Delhi Police has cracked a kidnapping case of an 11-year-old boy who was abducted on Saturday. Police have arrested a property dealer for allegedly kidnapping the boy with the help of an accomplice for ransom.
According to the police, 42-year-old Harpal Singh Sodhi was arrested from Bhiwari in Rajasthan after which the child was rescued from Rewari Railway Station.
Sodhi's accomplice Harpreet, who is the father of a classmate of the rescued boy, is on the run and efforts are being made to nab him, police said.
Harpreet was allegedly the mastermind behind the kidnapping.
The boy, a resident of Rajinder Nagar in New Delhi, had gone to a nearby market last evening to recharge his father's mobile phone but did not return home. The victim's parents informed the police about the kidnapping after they received a ransom call from the accused demanding Rs 1.5 crore for his release.
A case of kidnapping for ransom was lodged at Rajinder Nagar police station. "During the course of investigation, it was learnt that Harpreet had contacted the victim's parents last week for the purpose of purchasing a shop," Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central Delhi) Alok Kumar said.
When Harpreet's family members were questioned, they told the police that he had gone out of Delhi for arranging money to buy the shop, he said.
Police said Harpreet is also a property dealer and he used to work with his friend Sodhi. He, however, managed to escape from the railway station during the rescue operation. The child's family had received two ransom calls and the kidnappers had given a deadline of this morning for arranging the money, they added.
Several police teams were dispatched to various parts of Delhi and also to areas outside the city. The location of the person who made the ransom calls was established near Bhiwadi in Rajasthan through technical surveillance, they said, adding that a car which was used in the crime has been recovered.
With Additional Inputs From PTI
- BJP Terms Family Feud in Samajwadi Party as 'Fixed Match'
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Shivpal Yadav Vacates Official Residence
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Akhilesh Briefs Governor on Political Crisis
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: Shivpal Expels Akhilesh's Aide Pawan Pandey From Party
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: India Beat Malaysia 2-1 to Seal Top Spot
- Don't Invite Foreign Teams to Pakistan in Current Situation: Shoaib Akhtar
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- Pakistan Summons Indian Envoy, Lodges Strong Protest Over 'Unprovoked Firing'
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party drama enters 5th day: Akhilesh-Shivpal feud sparks SP-Congress alliance ahead of UP polls- FirstPost
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18
- Inspiring: Shahdol man, who lost both arms in an accident, drives auto-rickshaw to earn living - Pradesh18