DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Delhi Police to crackdown on drunk Holi revellers
Police said till March 15, 2013, a total of 6,809 drivers were prosecuted for drunken driving out of which 948 drivers were awarded jail term.
New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Sunday announced it would take tough action this Holi against traffic violators, particularly those caught drinking and driving.
"Police have made elaborate traffic arrangements to ensure safety of motorists on roads and check incidents of drunken driving, over-speeding, triple-riding on motorcycles, riding without helmet and other traffic offences," Additional Commissioner of Police Anil Shukla said.
In 2012, as many as 8,526 people were prosecuted for drunken driving, over-speeding, and other traffic rule violations.
"Special teams equipped with alcometer and speedometer will conduct checking at major intersections to detect and prosecute violations. In case of drunken driving, besides prosecution the drivers can be arrested and their vehicles impounded," the official said.
About 200 traffic police teams will be stationed all over Delhi, Shukla said.
Till March 15 in 2013, a total of 6,809 drivers were prosecuted for drunken driving out of which 948 drivers were awarded jail term, he added.
Recommended For You
- New 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire First Drive Review: Does it Aspire to Amaze You?
- BCCI Unhappy With Anil Kumble? India Looks For New Coach
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- On Kumble, Kohli Says BCCI Following Due Process By Inviting Fresh Applications
- Bollywood Stars Join Sachin Tendulkar For A Billion Dreams Premiere