Delhi: Policemen travel in buses to check women security
ACP Ajay Chaudhary said stickers carrying helpline numbers for women would be pasted inside buses.
New Delhi: Days after a woman was gangraped and brutally assaulted in New Delhi in a moving bus, an official of Delhi Police in plain clothes on Wednesday travelled in DTC buses to check the security for women in public transport. Additional Commissioner of Police Ajay Chaudhary travelled on buses plying on several routes, including 427 and 405, of the Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) buses.
The move comes after a nationwide outcry over the Sunday night gangrape of a 23-year-old paramedical student in a moving bus. The victim is battling for life in hospital. While travelling, Chaudhary spoke to several women commuters who related their problems to him. A woman in her late 20s told him: "It is very difficult for us to get seats in bus."
Another woman told the official that the inability to find a seat in the bus led to their molestation. "The major reason behind a molestation is the rush inside a bus, which I felt while travelling inside the bus," Chaudhary said.
"In order to prevent it, we will carry out frequent checks in buses at peak hours. I will also write to the transport department to increase the frequency of buses on those routes which are witnessing a rise in number of commuters," he said.
"We will paste stickers carrying women helpline numbers inside buses, so that they can contact us in any kind of emergency," Chaudhary said. A woman passenger told the official that the police helpline number for women 1091 was of no use as nobody responded whenever she tried it.
- PM Modi's Sandesh2Soldiers Drive Draws Over 10 Lakh Messages
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Review: Genuinely Moving Drama With Terrific Performances by its Leads
- Diwali Gifts: Top Cars in India That Are Ideal for It
- PM Modi Likely to Spend Diwali on Indo-Tibetan Border with ITBP Jawans
- Shivaay Review: Ajay Devgn-starrer Is Seldom Compelling
- Shivaay Movie Review: Ajay Devgn Is In Every Frame and We Wish He Wasn't
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, Shivaay Advance Bookings Have Been Phenomenal: Reports
- Don't Have Grace in Dancing: Ajay Devgn