Delhi: Suspected Hizbul militant Liaqat Shah seeks bail
Liaqat Shah was arrested by the special cell of Delhi Police on March 20 for allegedly conspiracy to carry out terror attacks in the national capital.
New Delhi: Suspected Hizbul militant Liaqat Shah on Monday approached a special NIA court in the capital seeking bail in a case of alleged conspiracy to carry out terror attacks in Delhi, claiming that no concrete evidence had been found against him during probe.
Forty five-year-old Shah, who was arrested by the special cell of Delhi Police on March 20, moved the bail application during an in-chamber hearing before District Judge IS Mehta who posted it for hearing on May 15, court sources said.
Shah was produced before the court after expiry of his judicial custody and the court extended it till May 18, they said. The sources said Shah, in his application, has said that he should be granted bail as he is in custody since March 20 and no concrete evidence has been found against him by the probe agencies as yet.
He was sent to judicial custody on May 1 after National Investigation Agency (NIA) had said that he was not required for further custodial interrogation. The court had on April 26 allowed the NIA's plea and remanded Shah in NIA's custody for five days after the agency had said that they need to take Shah to Sunauli border, one of India-Nepal crossing points near Gorakhpur, from where he was allegedly arrested.
After Shah's arrest, the Home Ministry had on March 28 issued a notification facilitating NIA to take over the case after his arrest had generated conflicting versions from Delhi and Jammu and Kashmir police. While Delhi Police had claimed that with Shah's arrest they had foiled a 'fidayeen' (suicide) attack in the national capital ahead of Holi, the J-K Police insisted that he was one of those who had exfiltrated in 1990s and returned to India to surrender under the state's rehabilitation policy.