'Didn't write 'Jolly LLB' with Shah Rukh in mind'
Subhash Kapoor had approached superstar Shah Rukh Khan to play the lead character in his upcoming film 'Jolly LLB'.
New Delhi: Subhash Kapoor had approached superstar Shah Rukh Khan to play the lead character in his upcoming film 'Jolly LLB', but the director says he initially wrote the story keeping actor Arshad Warsi in mind.
Warsi stepped in to star in the judicial satire after Khan could not manage his schedule for the film, which also stars Boman Irani and Amrita Rao. "I had got the opportunity to meet Shah Rukh Khan long time back when I was scripting the film. I showed him the script and he really liked it. He was keen to star in the film because he never portrayed a lawyer onscreeen.
"Shah Rukh made it clear in the very beginning that he might not star in the films because he had other commitments. But, I never wrote the script for him. Arshad has always been my first choice," Subhash told PTI.
The 40-year-old Delhi born director, who started his career as a journalist, says he was always fascinated by the court-room and wanted to present the real picture to the common man.
"Our Hindi Cinema has portrayed the court rooms far away from their reality. They have given us a highly dramatised version of it. So, with my film, I wanted to change the pre-conceived notion of the people. It is very interesting and entertaining and satire plays an important part of narration," said the director, who had earlier helmed 'Phas gaye re Obama' which was a quirky take on global recession.
Asked about the reason behind choosing satirical ways to narrate his stories, Subhash said, "My films are very close to reality. If I speak the same heavy language in the film then its reach gets limited. And it is always useful to instill satire as it entertains the audience also. I always believe that cinema should entertain."
- Gautam Gambhir Returns to Test Squad After Two Years
- Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh Clear Fitness Test in NCA
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- India to Reclaim Top Spot If They Win Kolkata Test Against New Zealand
- Rampant Borussia Dortmund Will Put Stuttering Real Madrid to the Test
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets