Dikshit blames migrants for Delhi's woes
Dikshit said the ever increasing population has put enormous pressure on housing, power, public health and transport system.
New Delhi: Identifying "unbridled influx" of migrants into Delhi as a major challenge, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today blamed the burgeoning population for putting existing infrastructure under strain and sought help from the Centre to deal with the situation.
In her address at 57th meeting of the National Development Council, Dikshit said the national capital was grappling with "unparallelled and unprecedented" challenges and cited continuous influx of people from across the country as a major cause of concern.
"Delhi's burgeoning population trend is further exacerbated by the continuous and unbridled influx of people from all over the country. Higher wages, better educational and health care facilities, more employment opportunities are some of the factors responsible for the continuous influx," she said.
Acknowledging the contribution of the migrants in evolution of an "eclectic culture" in the city, Dikshit, however, said the ever increasing population has put enormous pressure on housing, sanitation, power, water, sewerage, solid waste management, public health and transport system. "The proliferation of private vehicles and consequent clogging of roads is another problem that shows no trend of abatement," she said emphasising the need for brining an innovative multimodel transport system for the city at the "earliest".
"Being the capital city of India, making Delhi an environmentally sustainable habitat and a global heritage city as envisaged in the 12th Plan is a national desideratum and calls for huge resources and massive effort," Dikshit added.
- Amar Singh Got Akhilesh Story Planted in Newspaper: Ashu Malik
- SP's Abu Azmi Lashes Out at Amar Singh, Blames him For Crisis in Party
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: South Korea Strengthen Semifinal Claim With 5-3 Win Over China
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like if it Splits
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about the 2-day BRICS Summit
- Where is Mahendra Singh Dhoni the 'Finisher'?
- Dhoni's Return Catch Was Big Moment in The Match: Kane Williamson
- Despite Kohli's Failure, Fans Happy to Witness Even Contest