Dikshit seeks probe against Delhi Police officers
The sources said the magistrate accused police of putting pressure on her not to video record the statement of the 23-year-old woman.
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has sought a "high-level independent enquiry" against senior Delhi Police officials for allegedly interfering when the gang-rape victim's statement was recorded.
The chief minister made the appeal to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde. Delhi Police reports to the home ministry.
In her letter, Dikshit cited a complaint from Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Usha Chaturvedi, who had recorded the young woman's statement at the Safdarjung Hospital where she is warded.
Chaturvedi's complaint was forwarded to Dikshit by Deputy Commissioner (East) BM Mishra.
Without taking names, Mishra said Chaturvedi faced "interference" from assistant commissioners of police and deputy commissioners of police while recording the statement.
According to informed sources, Chaturvedi alleged that the senior officers at the hospital "tried to pressurise her to record the victim's statement as per their wish".
The sources said the magistrate accused police of putting pressure on her not to video record the statement of the 23-year-old woman, who December 16 gang-rape in a moving bus has triggered widespread criticism of the Delhi Police.
Dikshit, who forwarded the letter to the home minister, said: "I would suggest a high-level independent enquiry considering the officers involved.
"The contents of the letter are alarming and serious. Therefore I thought it will only be proper to bring the same to your notice for appropriate action," Dikshit said in her letter to the minister written on Monday.
- Pakistan Target Twenty20 Whitewash Over West Indies
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming
- Petition to Declare Pak a Sponsor of Terrorism Crosses 1 Lakh Signatures
- Indian Minister Disowned UN Resolutions in Speech: Pakistan
- I Have Experience, Says Hillary Clinton on Trump's 'Presidential Look' Jibe at Her
- Hillary Vs Trump: US Dollar Declines Before Presidential Debate
- US Presidential Debate Live: I Will Release My Tax Returns When Clinton Releases Deleted Emails, Says Trump
- US Presidential Candidates Neck and Neck as They Go Toe-To-Toe