Doc killed in jail: Nitish recommends CBI probe
Dr Buddhadev Singh was beaten to death by inmates inside the Gopalganj jail on May 30.
Patna: A CBI inquiry would be recommended into the recent murder of a doctor by inmates of the Gopalganj jail, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said on Monday.
"We have decided to recommend to the CBI for taking over the case relating to the killing of a doctor by prisoners in Gopalganj jail," Kumar said on the sidelines of his Janata Darbar programme.
"We have taken the matter seriously on the basis of the report submitted by the state home secretary Amir Subhani and also the demand of the doctor's relatives for CBI inquiry. It has forced us to recommend the CBI inquiry," Kumar said.
The state home department would send a proposal to this effect to the Centre on Monday, official sources said.
Kumar had earlier ordered transfer of the Inspector General (Jail) and Gopalganj District Magistrate on the basis of the report of the principal secretary (home), who inquired into the incident.
The chief minister had also announced an ex-gratia of Rs 10 lakh to the family of the victim.
Dr Buddhadev Singh, the youngest brother of former MP Satyadeo Singh, was beaten to death by inmates inside the jail premises on May 30, triggering widespread condemnation.
Recommended For You
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- Trapped Trailer Featuring Rajkummar Rao Will Leave You Intrigued
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology
- 'Virat Kohli Calling Me to Bowl at India Nets Biggest Achievement'