Dolphin stranded in Gujarat backwaters dies
The Principal Chief Conservator of Forest said dolphins in Gujarat are frequently spotted in Gulf of Kutch off Jamanagar coast, and their numbers is growing.
Ahmedabad: A dolphin stuck in backwaters of sea towards Tapi River in Gujarat was found dead on Sunday, officials said.
It had drifted from the shoal of dolphins spotted in the river a few days ago, they said. "Yesterday, a dolphin was found stranded in backwaters of the sea towards river....its carcass was found today," Principal Chief Conservator of Forest CN Pandey told PTI.
He said the authorities had tried hard to ensure that it goes back to sea. "But, sometimes these large fish tend to deviate and drop in shallow waters when sea recedes, and finds it difficult to go back," Pandey said.
The population of this large marine mammal is touted to be rising in Gujarat, but there is no specialised force to guide the animals to freedom in such exigencies, a forest department official said.
Dolphins in Gujarat are frequently spotted in Gulf of Kutch off Jamanagar coast, and their numbers is growing, he added. It is estimated that Gujarat is home to around 50 to 100 dolphins, though no official census has been conducted so far, the officer pointed out.
- Bomb Blast, Tribal Protests Keep Manipur CM Ibobi From Inaugurating Hospital
- Dear Zindagi: SRK Asks Alia Bhatt to Crack Better Jokes in the New Teaser
- Salman Khan's Recent Photo With Nephew Ahil is Just Too Heart-warming
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Pakistan Selectors Name Unchanged Squad for 3rd Test Against West Indies
- India can Produce up to 492 nuclear Bombs, Claims Pakistan Think-tank
- PM Nawaz Sharif has Become Security Risk for Pakistan, Says Imran Khan
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom