Domestic air tickets to cost more
The hike in surcharge came ahead of the peak summer season when air ticket prices soar in any case due to high demand.
Mumbai: Domestic air travel is going to be costlier again with both state-run Air India and private carrier Jet Airways hiking fuel surcharge on flight tickets by up to Rs 150. "Both Jet Airways and Air India have revised their fuel urcharge on domestic network by up to Rs 150," an industry source said.
The increase has been effected from the second fortnight of March, sources said, adding that the fuel surcharge has been revised upwards by Rs 150 for travel above 1,000 km and Rs 100 for travel up to 1,000 km.
No-frill carrier IndiGo may take a call shortly on the issue, airline sources said. So far the airline has desisted from revising fuel surcharge but it is expected to take a call on the issue in the next couple of days, they said.
The other no-frill carriers - GoAir and SpiceJet, did not respond to text messages asking whether they were also mulling to hike their fuel surcharge. The hike in surcharge came ahead of the peak summer season when air ticket prices soar in any case due to high demand.
Fuel surcharge, which came in to force since the global meltdown in 2008, help airlines offset part of their operations costs in which fuel bills contribute the most - almost 40 per cent.
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- New Zealand Take Tips From Ganguly Ahead of 2nd Test
- Virat Kohli Plays Down his Personal Form
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18