Sri Lanka offers Pak driver holiday package
Newspapers have described the Pakistani as "hero of our time".
Colombo: Describing a Pakistani driver as "hero of our time" for bravely saving the lives of Sri Lankan cricketers during the terror attack in Lahore, the state-run English newspapers have offered him a fully-paid holiday package as a token of appreciation.
The state-run Daily News and the Sunday Observer have invited Meher Mohammad Khalil, who drove the Sri Lankan cricketers straight into the Gaddafi stadium in Lahore on Tuesday despite the well co-ordinated gun and grenade attack by a group of terrorists.
The invitation for a fully-paid week-long holiday in Sri Lanka was sent to Mohammad Khalil and his wife through the Pakistan High Commission in Colombo.
"This is a token of our appreciation and gratitude for your courageous action in saving the lives of our valued cricket team when they came under terrorist attack," the invitation read.
A dozen terrorists on Tuesday ambushed and sprayed bullets and fired rocket propelled grenades at the convoy carrying Sri Lankan players to the Gaddafi international stadium in Lahore, where they were to play the third day of the second and last cricket Test against the host Pakistan.
Six players and the team's assistant coach were injured and six Pakistani police officials providing protection to the bus carrying the players were killed in the incident that shook the entire cricketing world.
Three of the wounded players are still recovering here in a private hospital as authorities were looking for a breakthrough into the terror strike that cast a dark cloud over Pakistan cricket.
- Dhanteras Buying Fails to Lift Gold; Falls Rs 110
- Govardhan Puja: An Important Part of the Celebrations of Diwali
- Diwali: Festival of Lights
- UP Police to Celebrate Diwali at Old Age Homes, Orphanages
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil: Ranbir Kapoor-Anushka Sharma's Love-Hate Relationship On Set
- I Am Botoxed, so Are Most People in the Film Industry: Karan Johar
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Which One To Buy: Apple iPhone 7 Plus or Google Pixel XL
- Will Act Against Raj Thackeray if he Breaks Law: Fadnavis