Drunk priest axed to death by saint in Mathura
<p>The priest of a temple in Shahpur village in Mathura was allegedly axed to death by a sadhu, police said on Thursday. The incident took place on Wednesday evening.</p>
The priest of a temple in Shahpur village in Mathura was allegedly axed to death by a sadhu, police said on Thursday. The incident took place on Wednesday evening.
"The accused, Baba Lal Giri, has been arrested and an axe along with a lathi (baton) used for the killing has been recovered," Deputy Superintendent of Police RK Gautam said.
"Giri had gone to the temple, where priest Pariyal Baba, who was in an inebriated state, abused him. When Giri protested, the priest started beating him," police said.
"When a visitor at the temple saw the clash, he tried to intervene. However, unable to stop the fight, the man informed people in the village," they said.
"When around a dozen villagers reached the temple, they found the priest lying in a pool of blood while Giri was missing," they said.
Some villagers took the priest to the Kosi Kalan police station, while the others searched for Giri. The police rushed the priest to a hospital where he was declared dead. On being found, Giri too was brought to the police station.
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- Samsung Execs Meet DGCA Officials Over Galaxy Note 2 IndiGo Fire Incident
- Samsung Galaxy On8 with Android M, 3GB RAM Launched at Rs 15,900
- Lenovo Sacks "Hundreds" of Employees at Motorola: Report
- Resolve Differences Through Diplomacy: US to India, Pakistan
- India vs New Zealand: Team India Arrives in Kolkata For Second Test
- Eden Track Will Not Turn Much, Says Sourav Ganguly
- India Accounts for 75% of Casualties Due to Air Pollution: WHO