ED questions Suresh Kalmadi in money laundering case
Kalmadi's role in awarding a contract to Swiss Times Omega at a huge cost of Rs 141 crore is under ED's probe.
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate on Wednesday questioned sacked CWG organizing committee chief Suresh Kalmadi and recorded his statement in connection with its probe into alleged money laundering in the run up to the 2010 sporting extravaganza. The agency questioned Kalmadi for the second time in less than a month. He was questioned in a separate case of alleged forex violations on March 25 by the agency.
Kalmadi has denied any wrongdoing in these cases. The agency's probe into money laundering charge against the Pune Member of Parliament is with regard to its complaint on the basis of a CBI FIR on charges of cheating, conspiracy and corruption in the Timing, Scoring Result system (TSR) contract of the Commonwealth Games. CBI had arrested Kalmadi in 2012 in this case and he is now out on bail.
His role in awarding the contract for installing the Timing-Scoring-Result system to Swiss Times Omega at a huge cost of Rs 141 crore is under ED's probe. During the questioning on Wednesday, Kalmadi was asked about the various clearances and remittances the CWG OC had made in awarding the TSR contract. The agency had registered a case under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) in 2012. ED is also probing Kalmadi's role in the alleged forex- related contraventions in the conduct of the Queens Baton Relay (QBR) held in 2009 in London and it had questioned him in this case on March 2, 2012.
- Watch: India @9 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- SP Old Guard Meet Akhilesh Yadav, Bid to Defuse 'Explosive' Situation
- Donald Trump's Daughter, Ivanka, to Celebrate Diwali at Hindu Temple
- Clinton Campaign Ponders 'What If' Trump Doesn't Concede
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP