EGoM likely to discuss spectrum auction details
The government is learnt to be preparing fresh plans to auction radiowaves that can fetch around Rs 39,895 crore.
New Delhi: The Empowered Group of Ministers on telecom is scheduled to meet on Thursday to discuss modalities about the spectrum sale due this fiscal. The EGoM, headed by Finance P Chidambaram, will discuss the auction plan prepared by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) after Cabinet approved the sale of unsold GSM spectrum in 1800 Mhz band and in the premium 900 Mhz spectrum band.
The government is learnt to be preparing fresh plans to auction radiowaves that can fetch around Rs 39,895 crore. As per the proposal, the government may get around Rs 25,316 crore from the auction in the premium 900 Mhz band, and Rs 14,579 crore from auction of unsold spectrum in the 1800 Mhz band.
For the CDMA (800 Mhz) band, DoT may propose either to recommend the matter to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) or auction the radiowaves in succession to GSM spectrum. DoT may sell more spectrum in Delhi, Mumbai, Karnataka and Rajasthan in the 1800 Mhz band, compared to the quantum it had earlier put up for auction that ended on November 14.
The government in the previous auction had put up only 10 Mhz for auction, divided in 8 blocks of 1.25 Mhz each, for Rs 693.06 crore in Delhi and Rs 678.45 crore in Mumbai which attracted no bidders. In Rajasthan and Karnataka, it will auction same quantity of 11 blocks spectrum at reserve price of Rs 46.96 crore and Rs 231.08 crore, respectively.
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Adnan Sami Responds After Being Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Watch: Ground Reports From India-Pakistan Border
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- Pakistan's Bermuda Triangle
- India 'Hiding' Casualties in Surgical Strike, Says Pakistan Army