Essar denies paying protection money to Maoists
The Essar Group denied the WikiLeaks claim, saying it is a law abiding corporate.
New Delhi: The Essar Group on Tuesday rejected the allegations made in the US diplomatic cable published on WikiLeaks that it paid protection money to Maoists, saying it is a law abiding corporate.
"Essar is a law abiding corporate. We don't think it is appropriate or necessary to react to baseless and unfounded allegations," an Essar spokesperson said in a statement.
As per the cable published by whistleblower internet website WikiLeaks, "A senior representative from Essar, a major industrial company with large mining and steel-related facilities in Chhattisgarh, told Congenoff (the Consul General's Office) that the company pays the Maoists 'a significant amount' not to harm or interfere with their operations."
Recommended For You
- Porter's Son Thangarasu Natarajan: From Tennis Ball Star to IPL Big Bucks
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)
- Kangana, Shahid Promote Rangoon on TKSS: 5 Laugh Out Loud Moments
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- Shahid Kapoor's Pre-Birthday Bash: Deepika, Alia, Katrina steal the show