Ex-NBA player banned in Philippines for 'choking' team-mate
Renaldo Balkman has been banned from the professional basketball league in the Philippines for grabbing a team-mate around the neck during a game.
Former NBA player Renaldo Balkman has been banned from the professional basketball league in the Philippines for grabbing a team-mate around the neck during a game.
The former New York Knicks and Denver Nuggets player has also been slapped with a fine of 250,000 Philippine pesos over the incident, Philippine Basketball Association commissioner Chito Salud said in a statement on Monday.
Balkman, who was playing for the Petron Blaze Boosters against the Philippines-based Alaska Aces, assaulted Arwind Santos while his team mate tried to stop him from venting his frustration at a referee's decision.
Salud said he took into consideration Balkman's past record as a player, which included a head-butting incident during a FIBA-Americas game between his Puerto Rico side and Venezuela.
"I also took into consideration Balkman's evident disregard for local and the host country's sensibilities highlighted by his choking act on-court in full public view of his own team mate who was trying to pacify him," Salud said.
"I do encourage passion for the game but I also want to firmly instil a culture of accountability among our players. If one does something that violates the rules and the norms of sportsmanship and decent behaviour, he will be made accountable."
The 28-year-old also pushed away his other team mates and one of his coaches during the match, which the Boosters went on to lose 73-83
It was not clear from the statement if the ban was for good.
- PM Urges Citizens to Send Their Messages to Jawans This Diwali
- RBI Staff's Rangoli Tribute To Raghuram Rajan Is Perfect
- When she was born, there was no joy and celebration: Kangana Ranaut's father recalls her birth
- Kangana Ranaut wished to make a film on sister, acid attack survivor Rangoli's life
- Diwali Gifts: Top Cars in India That Are Ideal for It
- PM Modi Likely to Spend Diwali on Indo-Tibetan Border with ITBP Jawans
- Govardhan Puja: An Important Part of the Celebrations of Diwali
- Diwali: Festival of Lights