Ex-US lawmaker Gabrielle Giffords visits Newtown school
Giffords retired from Congress last year to focus on her recovery from the January 2011 shooting in Tucson.
Newtown (Connecticut): Former US Representative Gabrielle Giffords, who survived a mass shooting in her Arizona district two years ago, met with Newtown officials on January 4 afternoon before heading to visit with families of the victims of last month's Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre.
Giffords arrived at Newtown's town hall a bit before 3 pm ET (2000 GMT) and met with First Selectman Pat Llodra and School Superintendent Janet Robinson among other officials. After about 30 minutes, Giffords and a small entourage boarded their vehicles and drove off from the town hall.
On January 3, Steven Jensen, spokesman for Connecticut Lieutenant Governor Nancy Wyman, said Giffords planned to attend a private event at a local home on January 4. Giffords' visit is three weeks to the day since 20-year-old Adam Lanza burst into Sandy Hook Elementary School in rural Newtown, about 70 miles (113 km) northeast of New York City, and killed 20 first graders and six school staff members.
Before the attack, Lanza killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, in their home about 5 miles from the school. Lanza took his own life as police arrived at the Sandy Hook school. Giffords retired from Congress last year to focus on her recovery from the January 2011 shooting in Tucson that left six dead and 12 others wounded.
Giffords, shot in the head in the attack, has become a symbol for proponents of stricter gun control in the national debate about the right to bear arms, which has grown louder since the December 14 attack in Newtown. On January 3 more than 400 children who escaped without physical harm returned to school for the first time since the assault.
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable