F1 team principals vote for Alonso over Vettel
In a poll carried out by Britain's 'Autosport' magazine, the team principals voted Ferrari's Alonso their driver of the year.
Formula One team principals have voted Ferrari's Fernando Alonso their driver of the year, despite Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel becoming the sport's youngest triple world champion at 25. A poll of all the team heads carried out by Britain's Autosport magazine, with each asked to list their top 10 and award points according to grand prix scoring, placed Alonso first with 269 and Vettel second on 198.
The team principals' scores were kept secret but the magazine said eight of the 12 chose Alonso, who had the biggest winning margin in the five years since the top 10 was started, as the best driver.
The Spaniard, who won his two titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006, was also voted best driver in 2010 when Vettel took his first championship. Alonso lost out to Vettel by three points on the track after the season's finale in Brazil last month.
Lewis Hamilton, who is moving to Mercedes from McLaren, finished third in the poll (177 points) with Kimi Raikkonen fourth for Lotus (176) and McLaren's Jenson Button fifth (104).
"I was pleased to be chosen by the team principals as the best driver of 2012," Alonso told the Ferrari website. "I think it will be very difficult to repeat what was almost a perfect season this year, but we will try...Of course, next year I would prefer to win the title, happy to leave this prestigious yet idealistic award to one of my peers."
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18