Federer shows the door to Monfils, enters semis
Federer finally found his groove much to the frustration of Monfils.
Paris: World No. 2 Roger Federer was back to his brilliant best as he eased past local favourite Gael Monfils 7-6, 6-2, 6-4 to book his place in the French Open semi-finals on Wednesday.
The Swiss will play his 20th consecutive Grand Slam semi-final against either Argentine fifth seed Juan Martin del Potro or Spain's Tommy Robredo, seeded 16th.
After three successive matches in which he dropped sets, Federer finally found his groove on Wednesday, much to the frustration of Monfils.
Federer, the hot favourite after four-times champion Rafael Nadal was knocked out in the fourth round, saved a set point in the first-set tiebreak before clinching it 8-6 with a forehand volley winner.
It was then much easier for the Swiss, who is gunning for the only major title to have eluded him.
He broke Monfils in the first and third games of the second set, moving the 11th-seeded Frenchman from left to right and often finishing off the points at the net.
Monfils called on the trainer at change of ends before the decider as he appeared to be in distress.
Federer, who is chasing a record-equalling 14th Grand Slam crown, snatched the decisive break in the ninth game when the Frenchman netted a forehand.
He put him out of his misery on his first match point with a backhand winner after two hours 10 minutes.
"I was very nervous before this match, yesterday and today," said Federer.
"But I have a lot of experience. I know that when I step on the court, I will play well. Or very well," he said.
Federer ran into a spot of bother when he contested a call following a Monfils dropshot that appeared to be wide.
He was briefly booed by the 15,000-capacity Centre Court crowd but normal service quickly resumed. "It is very important to me, to have the crowd with me," he said.
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: UP Amass 524, Tamil Nadu 34/1 on Day 2
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Meet the Man Who is Giving Music to Akhilesh's Campaign as Samajwadi Party Gets Lost in Surround Sound
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18